Achieving Serenity, Tranquility, and Confidence

"For the true master, martial arts are essentially avenues through which one can achieve spiritual serenity, mental tranquility, and the deepest self-confidence." 

-- excerpt of Chapter 1 from "Zen in the Martial Arts" by Joe Hyams

After reading this chapter, my thoughts ...

Am I true?  I am definitely not a master, but am I true?  Not right now.  Please grant me the courage and strength to do so.  To be true.

Am I willing to travel the avenues necessary to achieve what I want?  Without a dojo where I live?  Without a teacher 3 times a week?  Well, at least in the traditional sense.  Am I willing to let it all go and redefine my "dojo"?  I have plenty of places to practice.  I have so many memories of dojos past that I can create my own "dojo" wherever I am.  I must if I want to stay on the avenue.  I must let go of the restrictions in my own mind, the grief of not having a dojo right down the street, the wishing for what isn't.  I must embrace where I am and build a "dojo" for myself.

Is there a difference between spiritual serenity and mental tranquility?  Sometimes I think they are the same, sometimes I think they are different.  Ultimately, both led to peace.  I have always had to work out until all of the pent-up energy is spent before I can sense and rest in my inner peace.  So is all this saying the same thing?

My deepest self confidence has always come after my natural tension-filled, Type A, ready-to-spring self has been tamed by intense training.  And I have a tremendously difficult time pushing myself to that level of intensity on my own - without my sensei calling the shots.  So maybe part of being a true master is when I can do this for myself.

In other words, I've only begun the battle, and I think it's going to be a long time before I win it.  
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bushido Virtue #7 Chugi - Loyalty

Almost There

Bushido Virtue #2 - Yu or Courage